Friday, May 1, 2015

Professional Development and Networking through Technology

Our final chapter for this course focuses on productivity and professional development.  Technology is an incredible asset to both of these topics.  In the last seven weeks, my classmates and I have been challenged and stretched in our knowledge and use of technology as it applies to music education.  Although seven weeks is a relatively short time period, I have learned so much and developed some habits that will help me to further develop my technological, pedagogical, and content knowledge (TPACK). 

How often do music educators attend teachers’ conferences or professional development seminars that have little or no “take-away” for them?  Furthermore, how often do music teachers find themselves with no way to connect with colleagues who specialize in the same area of music education?  In my own experience, the answer is a resounding, “Too often!”   Bauer (2014) states, “Professional development needs to be relevant to a teacher’s personal interest and needs” (p. 175).  Technology can assist music educators in creating a personal learning network (PLN).    I would like to highlight some of the technological tools I have either been using or recently started using in my own professional development and networking.

Feedly

I have to admit that I have become slightly addicted to Feedly.  https://feedly.com  Seven weeks ago, I had no idea what Feedly or an RSS was.  “RSS, which stands for real simple syndication, is a technology that allows…resources to be tracked through feeds, a technological protocol that provides notifications when new items are published” (Bauer, 2014, p. 175-176).  It is a personalized newsfeed.   Since engaging with Feedly, I have read numerous articles on education and music education.  Through Feedly, I have a better idea of what is currently going on in my field – resources, standards, technology and ideas.  It is an easy way to connect with other professionals and professional organizations. 

Blogs

Before this course, I had not understood the value of blogging.  It has been enlightening  to create my own blog and read others.  Blogs are a wonderful way for people of similar interests or professions to share their ideas, successes, and frustrations.  The ability to comment on one another’s posts is a springboard for discussions and insights.  Of course, with any internet resources, one has to look for credibility and professionalism.  

Social Networking

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ and Twitter https://twitter.com/ are user-friendly platforms to connect to music teachers all over the world.  Through Facebook, colleagues can create private groups.  For example, I am a part of a private group for my Orff levels classes.  Our group Facebook page has been a valuable resource when I have questions, need ideas, or want to share.  There are also open group pages that you can “like” to receive information and join in the conversation.  As for Twitter, I am a new user due to this course.  It has been a helpful link to articles and discussion forums as well.

Online Learning/Distance Education

I am so thankful for the possibility of distance education!  I have been in the online Master of Music in Music Education graduate program at Kent State University (KSU) for a little over a year.   http://musicedmasters.kent.edu/  When I first thought of the possibility of obtaining a music education graduate degree online, I was not sure what that would look like.  I have been extremely pleased with the program offered by KSU.  Bauer (2014) lists several advantages of an online course.  I found myself nodding along as I read the text.  Two of the main advantages I have experienced that Bauer (2014) lists are the “ability to remain employed while in graduate school” and “immediately applying what is learned in coursework” (p. 182).  It has been motivating to connect with other music educators all over the United States as well as some overseas colleagues.  As a teacher, wife, and mom, I appreciate the flexibility of the courses as well.  I can work on my own time.   Although I do not meet my classmates and professors in person, tools like Blackboard Learn and Collaborate create the feel of a classroom and make communication easy.  Ironically, my husband wrote his Master’s Thesis on distance learning back in 2007.  It has been interesting to see how the possibilities and structures have changed and how things are different or the same as what he projected. 

Good luck to my classmates as we end this course and move on to the next.  It has been a pleasure to connect and share.


Bauer, W. (2014). Music learning today: Digital pedagogy for creating, performing, and responding to music. New York, NY: Oxford.

No comments:

Post a Comment