Friday, March 20, 2015

Creativity - The Perception and the Process

Although I am a musician, I had never really seen myself as a creative person.   I had always been adept at reading and performing music.  When it came to an improvisation requirement for my music education degree, I was nervous.  How could I improvise, especially as a vocalist?  Isn’t that limited to jazz scat performers like Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and the like?  Music arranging threw me for a loop as well.  I could play piano proficiently enough to play four voices (e.g. a choral score) and I had studied flute in junior high and part of high school.  I couldn’t hear the parts in my head to find creative ways to arrange scores for orchestra and band.   Hmm…I must not be creative.  

In Music Learning Today, Dr. Bauer (2014) states, “Some people believe that creativity is a rare gift, with only a chosen few being born with creative talents” (p. 48).  So often, we hear people say, “I’m not creative.”  This perception is usually due to a lack of opportunity to be exercise their creativity.  Bauer (2014) reminds us that creativity is a process, not a magical quality or product.  Those that we view as creative – authors, composers, artists, choreographers – all work through a process. 
With our students, we need to instill in them the creative process.  There is trial and error.  There will be failure before success.  In today’s culture, children are often sheltered from failure.  Parents (and sometimes teachers) are taking risk away from their children in the idea of protecting their children.  This leads into an entirely different branch of conversation.  Tim Elmore (2013) has written several books about this issue.  Improvisation and composition are two ways we, as music teachers, can teach the process of learning through exploration.   I love the quote Bauer (2014) included from cartoonist Scott Adams, “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.  Art is knowing which ones to keep” (p. 54). 

As an elementary music teacher, I try to include improvisation in lesson plans frequently.  This comes in many different forms – drumming, using rhythm sticks, barred instruments, recorders, and voices.  With my youngest students, our first experiments with improvisation are vocalized, a term Dr. John Feierabend (n.d.) calls Arioso.  For example, I have a frog puppet named Charlie.  I ask my kindergarten students to tell me about Charlie, but they have to sing it.  They sing little phrases, “Charlie is green.  He has big eyes.  He eats flies.”  I don’t tell them how to sing it, but they often use the building blocks they have learned such as Mi-Re-Do or Sol-Mi patterns.  This is the important part of building confidence in improvisation.  Just as Bauer (2014) describes Graham Wallas’s stages of the creative process, preparation is the first step.  Students need to be prepared and equipped to use what is in their music “toolbox” in order to create new ideas.  For example, my fourth grade students understand phrasing, multiple pieces of rhythm, and the pentatonic scale.  They also understand the “home base” of major and minor scales.  They experience improvisation using these tools.  Of course, some students are more comfortable with it than others. 

Recently, I had my third, fourth, and fifth graders create 16-beat compositions.  I did it in a way that took them one step at a time through the creative process.  Their first assignment was to create a 16-beat rhythm composition.  I gave them a “rhythm bank” using appropriate rhythmic values for each grade level.  The other parameter was that they use elemental phrases.  We had been identifying elemental phrase structure for most of the year, so they were comfortable and excited to incorporate this tool.  When they could say and clap their rhythmic composition correctly, I allowed them to add melody.  My third graders were limited to using B, A, and G on their recorders.  The older students could write for recorders or barred instruments using a pentatonic scale.  It was an amazing experiment.  Students came to me asking if they could change their phrases slightly to create primes (using correct music vocabulary!), add a bass part, add non-pitched percussion.  I was so proud of what they created.  They were excited to perform for one another.  They were successful because they were able to break down the process, make changes, and use their skills.  It turned out to be a wonderful assessment tool as well.  I was able to assess them on their skills and they evaluated each other.  It was exciting to hear a student say, “Oh!  You ended on E because you are in minor.  We ended on G because we are in major.”  Illumination!

The process described above was done with pencil and paper.  It would be interesting in the future to use a tech tool like Noteflight in the writing process.  I have easier access to iPads in my school.  I am interested in researching more simple composition tools for iPad.

I am happy to say that I have become much more comfortable with composition and improvisation since my undergrad experience.  My training in Orff Schulwerk helped me significantly.  The more we practice skills, the more confident and proficient we become.  We become better models for our students. 

Bauer, W. (2014). Music learning today: Digital pedagogy for creating, performing, and responding   to music.   New York, NY: Oxford.

Feierabend, J. (n.d.) First steps in music for preschool and beyond. Retrieved from

Elmore, T. ( 2013, Feb 15).  Three huge mistakes we make leading kids…and how to correct them.     [Blog post].  Retrieved from http://growingleaders.com/blog/3-mistakes-we-make-leading-kids/

No comments:

Post a Comment