Friday, April 24, 2015

Active Listening: Music maps, Movement, and Video

Today in first grade, we were studying the Finale from the William Tell Overture.  I don’t think the students realized just how many times they heard the same piece (at least four!) because they were actively listening to it.  Our first listening occurred during our last class period together.  I projected a listening map on the interactive whiteboard and pointed to the various icons for the different sections as the music played.  Today, I asked a student to come up and point to the map while the students followed along.  My listening map depicts a horse race.

As the listened, they patted the beat for the A and B section, and “jumped” with their hands for the C section.  During the D section, they “cantered” using alternating patting.  The coda includes a smattering of body percussion.  It was fun to see them following along and anticipating the changes.   After a movement activity with the parachute and an “orchestra” activity with small percussion sections (fromArtie Almeida's Parachutes, Ribbons, and Scarves, Oh My!), I showed a video clip of the Italian rhythmic gymnastics team performing at the 2012 World Cup. Video Clip (go to 21:40)  The students were amazed an inspired by what they saw.  And…they recognized the music!!! We’ll be creating our own ribbon, hoop, and ball movement for the piece next week.

This week’s chapter on responding to music (Bauer, 2014) made me think more about how I approach listening in my classroom and just how much technology is involved.  I am very thankful for tools like the interactive whiteboard and iPad that allow me to store what previously would have been on a paper charts(…if I could find the right one…) and on CD.    I have also been thinking about the use of video.  I was trained to believe that video was something used for a day when a substitute had to be called in or maybe on one of those days when you just need to fill time.  I have had to reteach myself that including video in lessons is very powerful.  The key is to find appropriate video of appropriate length.   Short video samples of specific pieces or cultures is far more engaging and educational that me lecturing to my students about it. 

With today’s technology capabilities, students can hear authentic samples from music around the world.  One of my favorite examples of this idea happened with my fourth graders this fall.  In Texas, the fourth grade social studies class is Texas history.  (I know that may be strange to people outside of Texas.  I grew up in the upper Midwest.  We didn't devote an entire year of study to North Dakota or Minnesota.)  As my students were studying the Native American tribes of Texas, we were beginning our recorder studies in music class.  I showed them a shortened version of Songkeepers (Songkeepers Promotional Video), a video I had watched for the course, “America’s Music.”  The video inspired a wonderful discussion about nature, culture, and improvisation.  My students were inspired to try more improvisation.  The knowledge about recorders made their learning about Native American people more relevant and exciting. 

There are so many wonderful technology tools for teachers.  When used appropriately and wisely, they will only enhance our teaching. 


Bauer, W. (2014). Music learning today: Digital pedagogy for creating, performing, and responding           to music. New York, NY: Oxford.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karin,
    Your listening map is great! May I borrow that concept? and the activities? I love the way you incorporate listening with so many different physical activities. Video usage in classrooms has always been problematic, some teachers show a video without much curriculum connection. One "rule" I've always used is that for every 10 minutes of a video, there needs to be a pause for discussion or reflection. I'll bet you did that with the Songkeepers video without being told to do it! You've given me lots to think about with your great listening lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please. Borrow away!

      I appreciate your "rule", Kathy. It's creates time to check for understanding, check for attention, and to refocus.

      Delete
  2. Karin,

    Thank you for your practical examples of using active listening in general music class. I also try to have the students engaged, but I have never had them listen to a musical example more than once (except for folk dance tracks) and you have given me a great list of ideas for expanding their listening attention span.

    I played an old Reading Rainbow video for my kindergarten class featuring "Ty's One Man Band". The video explored all the different ways music is around us - found sounds, computer sounds/synthesizers/MIDI, and in traditional instruments. We took the idea of found sounds, and the following class, I provided them with a variety of non-musical odds and ends. They had a grand time working with partners to create their own instruments. We then used them to practice echoing short rhythmic patterns and improvising short ideas using their names. It was a valuable lesson inspired by the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a fun lesson, Kathleen. I'll have to check out that book and video. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete