Sunday, April 5, 2015

Soundation Playtime

My Composition
My first composition using Soundation ultimately represents my experience in playing around with the program.  Therefore, I gave my composition the title “Playtime.”  It seemed like a fitting title to the process and also because my family said it sounded like music for a video game.
I wrote the composition in the same style I use for the elementary classroom.  I used the idea of layering a series of basic ostinati or loops.  I started with the basic beat, adding on texture until the sound was filled with the beat, melody, harmony, and auxiliary percussion.  Once I had a full sound, I broke it down again, highlighting the melody.   I ended the piece by fading the layers out, bookending the piece the way it had begun.
Honestly, my first goal was to create something that would last for about two minutes while keeping the attention of an audience.  The goal beyond that was to find a sample of music and see what I could build with it.   I wasn’t sure if I would start with melody or rhythm.  Ultimately, I ended up using a melodic sample from the Soundation MIDI files called RnB Love Keys.  I liked the basic flow of the sample.  It was happy and had a distinct melody.  I decided to use that melody to create the rest of my composition.  I used another sample from Soundation’s Electronica files for the auxiliary percussion.  For the basic drums, I decided to create my own line using the drum machine.  It was fun to play with adding and subtracting sounds and effects with the drum machine.
The Software
When I first opened up the Soundation studio, I was overwhelmed by all the buttons and samples.  I had watched the videos, so I understood how to go about starting a project, but it took a little while to feel comfortable with the process.  Once I got hang of “writing” in the “Edit Note Clip” box, I was able to add sounds or take them out according to my listening taste.  My workflow became easier as I learned how to copy and paste specific parts of MIDI samples so I could thin out the melody or bring out a particular melody, harmony, or non-pitched rhythm. 
I was challenged by all the effects and terminology.   Audio terms like dry, wet, fakie, and supersaw were all new to me.   (I only knew a “fakie” to be something Shawn White did on a snowboard.)    I took some time to practice listening to how each effect changed the sound.  It would take a very trained and experienced ear to hear some of the slight changes and to know how to create a desired effect. 
Educational Implications
As a music educator, I observe that Soundation offers students a way to create their own compositions in a non-threatening way.  Students do not necessarily have to come up with original ideas to begin the composition process.   Soundation offers a huge amount of musical samples that can serve as springboards for new compositions. 
I believe students would take to Soundation similarly to how the teachers in this group took to Soundation.  Some students would take to it very easily.  Some would be overwhelmed.  Some people  are very tied to notation and writing original ideas.  Others are excited about taking existing material and changing it without having to worry about notation.   It would be very interesting to require two projects back-to-back much like this graduate class, one using notation software like Noteflight or Musescore, the other using Soundation or Garageband.   I think I would also approach the activities with exploratory objectives.  I would present my students with a rubric listing specific requirements.   Preliminary activities would be graded for use of the software rather than the quality of the finished product.   After the class had had an opportunity to “play” with each type of composition, I could assign a project with specific objectives, but allowing the students to choose the format of their composition.  Both types of composition projects would provide growth opportunities for students.  These projects would push students out of their comfort zones while challenging them at different levels.  There would be tremendous differences in the finished projects depending on the individual student’s experience and musicianship. 

The end result - check it out at the following link:

No comments:

Post a Comment